This Chai Spiced Banana Bread is perfect for breakfast, afternoon snacking, or just when you feel like it! Banana bread just got a fall makeover with the addition of warm spices and a perfect ribbon of cream cheese spread on top.
If someone would have told me that I would be sitting at my dining room table trying to write all of these posts over the next couple of weeks in just a few hours, I wouldn’t have believed them. I literally had the entire rest of the year planned out, including my annual Christmas cookies, which are coming btw. I have been baking up a storm, and getting ready to edit those and write the posts up.
Like those Pumpkin Spice Truffles, this Chai Spiced Banana Bread was made for October. It was made before the hurricane, and it too evacuated with us to Alabama. I know that my family didn’t complain when I showed up with goodies. I mean I am not gonna complain when you come to my home with goodies to share!
Banana bread is one of our favorites. I have yet to find a banana bread that is my go to recipe, so until then I will just make a dozen different recipes until I find one that is “it”. I have made so many tasty banana bread combinations, and I’ve made them several times here and there, none are one hit wonders. It’s just I haven’t pinned down a regular banana bread that I can call my go to, the one that I whip up when I have a few bananas lying on the counter a little too dark to do anything with, but make banana bread. Do y’ll have one? I’m on the hunt, and I’d love to give yours a try!
Until I do run across that one, I’ll keep making combos like this Chai Spiced Banana Bread. It’s got all those wonderful warm fall and winter spices that I love so much about chai tea. It reminds me of the coffee shop that I was working out almost 20 years ago, when I met Zack. The ribbon of perfectly sweetened cream cheese frosting sits on top, begging to be licked from the tips of your fingertips, because you scraped it from the knife. It’s the type of frosting that you will scrape off your plate with your fork, because you can’t get enough of it.
This is perfect for breakfast, because nothing beats a slice of this Chai Spiced Banana Bread and a warm cup of coffee, or apple cider. It’s also the perfect after dinner, before bed snack. It just really answers that sweet tooth that’s calling.
Sure, you can make this without the frosting. I mean I wouldn’t, but if you’re trying to watch your sugar, skip it. This banana bread can stand alone without it, because it’s just that perfect!
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, and spray with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl attached to a stand mixer, beat the banana, yogurt, butter, and eggs until combined. Add the sugars and mix. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, and all the spices.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, and stir until combined.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a skewer in the center comes out almost clean.
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- In a large bowl mixture together the ingredients for the frosting, and spread onto cooled bread. Best served right away.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 367 Total Fat: 12g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 62mg Sodium: 267mg Carbohydrates: 61g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 39g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g
Looking for more really yummy banana bread recipes? These are our most popular!