These Brown Butter Christmas Cookies are your classic sugar cookie with a nutty browned butter flavor. They are the richest most delectable cookie around!
This post contains affiliate links. It does not cost you anything extra by clicking the links. If you make a purchase from the link, I will get a small commission from the sale. Thank you for always supporting Everyday Made Fresh.
Ahh, the ever so popular brown butter…what is it, why do you need it, and how do you make these cookies?
Stay tuned below, because I’m answering all these questions!
Let’s start with the obvious…
What is brown butter?
Brown butter is just regular butter that has been cooked, just long enough to toast the milk solids. Resulting in a beautiful nutty flavor that you can’t get from anything else.
How do you make brown butter?
- You’ll need to grab a heavy bottom skillet, similar to the Calpahlon one, that I have. Place it over medium heat.
- Add the butter (whatever the measurement calls for, from any recipe), and as it melts, continually stir it. Don’t step away from the pan at all – the butter will burn quickly.
- As the butter starts to brown (a very light brown color), turn off the heat, and pour into a heat safe measuring cup to cool just a bit.
Use your brown butter in place of all the melted butter in any recipes. It lends a very nice warm nutty flavor. You’ll love it!
How do you make Brown Butter Christmas Cookies?
You’ll need to brown your butter, and grab all these basic cookie ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, sugar, brown sugar, egg, and Rodelle Vanilla extract + your sprinkles.
The sprinkles are totally optional, but recommended for a fun Christmas spin!
Next you’re going to Mix together your flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
Using a whisk or a mixer, mix the sugars in with the brown butter. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients to the wet – and mix well.
This dough is thick and somewhat greasy – YOU WILL NEED TO CHILL THIS!
Cover and chill the dough for 30 minutes (not bad!)
Remove from the fridge, preheat that oven, and roll the dough into 1 tablespoon dough balls (I find a cookie scoop like this one super useful). As you roll, dip the tops into the sprinkles, and place three inches a part on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes.
Allow to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then place on cooling racks to finish cooling.
A few ideas to help create more brown butter cookie ideas:
- omit the sprinkles and add ½ cup chopped pecans to the batter
- swap out Christmas sprinkles for any other holiday sprinkles, and have these cookies for all the holidays
- add 1 cup mini M&M’s to the batter for a brown butter m&m cookie
Looking for more Christmas cookie recipes for all those holiday baking days?
- 2 cups + 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- sprinkles for topping
- Brown the butter - You'll need to grab a heavy bottom skillet. Place it over medium heat. Add the butter (whatever the measurement calls for, from any recipe), and as it melts, continually stir it. Don't step away from the pan at all - the butter will burn quickly. As the butter starts to brown (a very light brown color), turn off the heat, and pour into a heat safe measuring cup to cool just a bit.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the brown butter, and both sugars. Mix until combined.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix, until well combined.
- Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper, and roll into 1 inch balls, pressing the tops into sprinkles. Place 3 inches apart on baking sheets, and bake for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove and finish cooling on cooling racks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 81Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 108mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 0g