Ham Casserole with Broccoli & Cheese and Pasta is an easy ham casserole that the whole family will love.
We are in that last full week of August, and Kelsie is begging me to pull out the fall decorations, and I’m all over here like it’s 100 degrees outside, and raining everyday – I do not feel fallish this year.
It’s actually the first year where I’m not breaking down the door to the hall closet, trying to hang up the wreath on the front door, and wishing time by faster towards Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I’m just not feeling it yet this year.
Perhaps it’s because we have decided that our first day of homeschooling won’t be until September 6th. Years past I’ve always declared the first day of school to be fall, even though it’s not on the calendar.
I don’t know, perhaps I’ll feel it come September! I do believe that this coming weekend I will pull all out the stuff so that Kelsie can help me decorate, but in the mean time, I’ll just make recipes that remind us of fall.
Fall to me means cooler weather, comforting foods, blankets, and warm drinks. This Ham Casserole with Broccoli & Cheese is definitely comfort food! It’s warm, cheesy, creamy, and perfect for those cool afternoons when you want something to warm you from the inside out.
We love to cook with ham, because it’s not really something we buy until around Christmas time. You know, the Christmas ham?! Anyway.
I’ve been stepping out and buying ham more lately, and making yummy comforting dishes like this one. This dish is more like a creamy macaroni and cheese dish with ham and broccoli on the side. The cheese is definitely the star here!
This recipe is perfect with leftover Christmas ham.
Can I use gluten free pasta?
Of course! I’d also use my favorite gluten free flour substitute when making the cheese sauce.
Can I use rice instead of pasta?
Yes! I’d use 2 cups, and cook it according to the directions on the package.
Here are some of our favorite casserole recipes:
- 12 oz macaroni noodles
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cooked ham cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
- 1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup shredded fresh parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Cook pasta according to the directions, and drain. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pot, melt the butter, whisk in the flour, dry mustard, onion powder, cayenne, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Slowly pour in the milk, while whisking.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking about every minute, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Stir in all the cheeses, until melted.
- Add the broccoli, ham and pasta. Toss to coat.
- Add the heavy whipping cream.
- Pour immediately into the prepared baking dish.
- Mix together the ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 735Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 158mgSodium: 1331mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 37g