Baked Potato Casserole is everything you love about a baked potato – butter, cheese, sour cream and bacon – loaded together in this ultimate casserole.
One of my favorite things to eat as a side dish is baked potatoes. There are a couple of ways to make them – microwave or oven.
The microwave is fast, but a lot of times, I end up with part of it over cooked and hard.
The oven lends the best baked potato, but it takes forever, and I always forget to toss them into the oven, in time for dinner.
So I end up making mashed potatoes a lot. One day though, it was like a light bulb went off, why not make a casserole, using potatoes, and include all those yummy flavors that I love about baked potatoes.
We eat this baked potato casserole a lot now. It’s easy, and takes just a tad bit longer than mashed potatoes, but oh so worth it.
You can add all the yummy things that you like in baked potatoes, to this casserole. Chives? Add them!
Top it will pulled pork on your plate for a complete meal. BBQ topped baked potatoes are a very popular thing.
This could be your short cut. Maybe you have some leftover pulled pork, make this to go with it.
How to make baked potato casserole:
You can use leftover mashed potatoes or start from scratch. For this recipe, we’ll use fresh.
Choosing to boil the potatoes or bake them is really up to you, and how much time you want to devote. I created this recipe for time saving purposes, so boiling the potatoes in this recipe is what you’re going to do.
Bacon – make it our self or you can buy the real bacon pieces from the salad dressing aisle.
- Peel, rinse, and cube potatoes. Boil until fork tender.
- Mash, using a potato masher, or you can use handheld or stand mixer.
- Once mashed, add your butter, sour cream, milk, salt and pepper, bacon and cheese. Mix together.
- Place into a baking dish, and top with cheese and bacon.
- Bake until heated through and the top is nice and melted.
Here are some things that we enjoy with this dish:
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled, rinsed, and cubed
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups shredded cheddar
- 10 strips bacon, cooked and diced small
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, about 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the potatoes, using your preferred method, and mix in the butter, sour cream, milk, and seasonings, Mix together. Stir in 2 ½ cups cheese and 7 slices of the chopped bacon.
- Pour into a baking dish, and top with the remaining cheese and bacon. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 393Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 719mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 15g