13 Baking Essentials Every Home Cook Needs, because baking is a science!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convince. Click here to read my full disclosure policy
I have watched enough cooking shows, and baked enough desserts to know that baking is a science. If you just throw, toss, and pinch in ingredients when it comes to baking, it's likely whatever it is you're trying to bake won't turn out. On Cutthroat Kitchen, when it comes to desserts, if Alton Brown sees a chef just pouring ingredients in a bowl, the camera usually pans to him and he tells the audience at home that baking is a science, and that the chef preparing whatever may not be happy with his or her results. Nine times out of ten, the judge has a problem with that said chef's dessert. Why? Because in the words of Alton Brown "baking is a science!" Can you tell I love Alton Brown? Kelsie has found his old tv show, Good Eats, and wants to watch it all the time. She says it's perfect to go along with her homeschooling lessons. 🙂
Since most home cooks, like myself do like to bake every now and then, I thought it would be helpful to put together a list of 13 Baking Essentials Every Home Cook Needs. Here is what I've come up with:
- Ozeri Pronto Digital Multi-function Kitchen and Food Scale - A lot of recipes require you to weigh out your dry goods, and I find that a digital scale works best.
- Prepworks by Progressive Snap Fit Measuring Spoons - Set of 5 - The fact that this set snaps together, instead of placed on a ring makes me happy. I have a set that is very similar and use them all the time. I love that this set also has two different shapes for the measurements so that you can easily get into spice bottles! By the way, I've always hated the ring that these things normally come on. I find that it's so much easier to work with one measuring spoon as opposed to the whole ring full.
- Hudson Essentials Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set - 6 Piece stackable with spout - Again, no ring, these stack together, and these, like mine I use at home include a pouring spout! Measuring cups like these should only be used for measuring out dry ingredients. Liquid goes in a whole other cup.
- Pyrex 3 - Piece Glass Measuring Cup Set - Do you need all three? Yes! I brew our tea in the 1 quart measuring cup in the microwave. Learned this from my mother. The other two are completely necessary, because most recipes call for at least two different liquids, usually an oil and milk; for example. It keeps you from having to wash it, just to turn around and dirty it up again.
- Set of 4 - Whisk and Spatula Set - You need two different sized whisks! I promise. I actually use my smaller one a lot more, because it can get into the curves of my pot unlike the large one. Spatulas, again two sizes! I really like using my small one to scrap out my smaller pots and bowls.
- Stainless Steel Pastry Cutter/Blender - Sure you can use your hands or a fork to cut butter into flour, but once you give one of these a try, you'll be so happy you did! It makes a huge difference, and it's cheap, so why not!
- Adjustable Rolling Pin - This is a sanity saver when it comes to pastry making, trust me. Roll your dough to whatever thickness you need, with this adjustable rolling pin. Yes, you can buy the rings for the one you have, but those rubber rings can be hard (and dangerous) to put on. I've snapped my fingers quite a few times. That is why this is my favorite!
- Pyrex Smart Essentials Mixing Bowl Set - I got this set two years ago for Christmas, and I still love it. Need a double boiler to melt chocolate, you can use one of these bowls on top of a pot on your stove! Want to melt it in the microwave instead? Use these bowls. Making rice krispy treats? Use the large one. My kids even make oatmeal/grits/and cream of wheat in the small one. Plus these are triple duty, because you can serve in them, and store in them!
- Wilton 3 - Piece Cookie/Baking Sheet Set - I use these three sizes all the time. From cookies and biscotti, to my one pan dinners.
- 8-inch Glass Baking Pan (Brownie Pan) - I use this for nothing but brownies! I love the glass for baking brownies so much better than the metal, and the size is perfect.
- Set of Two Cooling Racks - You've baked those cookies, now you need somewhere to cool them, because you can't cool them properly on the baking sheet!
- Farberware Muffin Tin - Not too much to explain here, you'll want to make muffins and cupcakes at some point, and this non-stick muffin tin is the one I use.
- Elite Kitchware 4 Piece Baking Set - This set includes 2 - 9 inch cake pans, 1 bundt pan, and 1 spring form pan. Make any cake into a two tier with the cake pans. Or you can make a beautiful pound cake in the bundt pan, or try your hand at a cheesecake! < -- They aren't as hard to make as you may think.
With these essentials that I've mentioned above, you'll be baking like a chef in no time! Want something to bake with your new set of kitchen essentials? Check out our Sweet Tooth board on Pinterest for a lot of inspiration!