This Buffalo Chicken Chili is filled with shredded chicken, vegetables, and beans. It’s hearty and filling, and perfect for those cold winter nights.
Happy 2017!! I hope that everyone had a wonderful time over the holidays. We ate lot’s of food, opened many gifts, and made tons of memories. It was a perfect Christmas. Now that Christmas is over, it’s time to start churning out new recipes for y’all. I thought what better way to kick of January than with a recipe that will warm you from the inside out. After all it is winter. 🙂 Although, I’ll be quite honest with you, here in North Florida, we’ve only had winter show up twice in the last few weeks. I do know that winter is out there somewhere; I’ve seen all those photos of snow all over Instagram!
This recipe is for those of you that love chili and buffalo chicken. It’s perfect for game day; hello Superbowl 2017! It’s perfect after playing in the snow; so jealous of those that get to do that! It’s also just a great chili recipe. I believe that everyone should have a great chili recipe that they use as a go-to.
Packed with peppers, carrots, celery, beans, and shredded chicken it’s hearty and filling. Spicy but not too spicy, unless you like it hot, you control the heat. Change it up, and make it yours! That’s one of those things I love about chili, no two recipes are ever the same. Your chili is usually different than your best friends chili. And his chili isn’t the same as your dad’s chili. You get the point!
You can top this chili with cheese (my personal favorite), sour cream, avocado, chips, crackers, or whatever you can think of. I’ve even been to a church pot luck growing up that offered shredded cabbage. <—- I didn’t try that, so I can’t tell you what that may be like! I wasn’t one for green things growing up. What do you like on top of your chili?
This recipe is relatively simple to make. It’s basically do some prep, toss it together, and let it simmer. Crazy fact about me: I’ve never made chili in a slow cooker! Shocker!! However, I think this recipe would be great in the slow cooker because the chicken you’ll use is already cooked. You’re basically just warming everything up and allowing the flavors to meld together. The only thing I would suggest is to saute the vegetables before tossing them in to the slow cooker. You want those flavors to come out that only sauteing brings.
- 1 Tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 large carrots, sliced about the the same as the celery
- 1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 packet of chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup hot sauce (start with the fourth, taste, and add as you need to)
- 1 pound shredded chicken - I used a rotisserie chicken
- 1 29oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis (do not drain)
- 1 15oz can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15oz can chili beans (do not drain)
- Heat the oil in a very large soup pot (dutch oven) over medium to high heat.
- Add the carrots, onion, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 to 8 minutes until they are onions are translucent and the carrot and celery are tender.
- Stir in the chili seasoning packet and spices.
- Pour in the hot sauce, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, and beans. Stir to combine.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Heat for 10 to 15 minutes, and taste. Add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Allow to simmer for at least 2 hours so that the flavors can meld together.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, etc.